In spring, the grass begins to sprout, the flowers are in bud, everything recovers, and the good period for growth of cattle and sheep is also coming. However, spring is also the season when various germs, diseases and insect pests are active, so it is particularly important to do a good job in the feeding and management of cattle and sheep in spring. Here are some points we want to share.
Spring is the time when cattle and sheep grow the fastest, but at this time, parasites will multiply in large numbers, which will nourish the appetite of cattle and sheep, and will also cause problems such as pica in cattle and sheep, so we need to deworm and invigorate the stomach of cattle and sheep.
* Selecting drugs reasonably, combination and collocation. The parasitic diseases of cattle and sheep are mostly mixed infections, and various appropriate anthelmintics should be used together or multifunctional broad-spectrum anthelmintics should be used directly. Such as albendazole oral suspension, ivermectin injection, etc., which have good effects.
* Administration and route should be correct. Different drugs or different anthelmintic purposes have different routes of administration. General ectoparasites are suitable for spraying and medicated bath (must be carried out at the same time as barn deworming); blood parasites are suitable for intravenous injection; respiratory tract and urinary tract parasites are suitable for oral and intramuscular injection; digestive tract parasites are suitable for before fed in the early morning, it works best when administered on an empty stomach.
* Accurate dosage and interval medication. When special anthelmintics are used for deworming, the dosage of anthelmintics should be accurate to prevent poisoning caused by overdose. In order to prevent parasites from developing drug resistance, the second dose can be administered after a period of time after the first dose.
2. House disinfection
When the temperature rises in spring, the bacteria and viruses in the pens become active. It is the season of high incidence of various epidemics. Our common foot-and-mouth disease virus and aphthous sore virus are relatively high in this season. The transmission ability of these diseases is also very strong. Once an epidemic occurs, it will bring huge losses. Therefore, the farm must carry out a thorough epidemic prevention and disinfection work. 20% to 30% milk of lime or 2% to 3% caustic soda solution can be used to spray and brush the ground, walls and surrounding environment of the pen, which can have a good disinfection effect. For the dead corners of the pens, fumigation can be used for disinfection. During the fumigation process, it is necessary to do a good job of sealing the enclosure to improve the effect of fumigation and disinfection. The fumigation time should be controlled at about 8-10 hours, and then the enclosure door should be opened for ventilation and air release to reduce drug residues.
3. Feed mix
* Various collocations. In the process of feeding, attention should be paid to the combination of various feeds, and a single green feed can’t be used, because a single feed can’t meet the various nutritional needs required for the growth of cattle and sheep, so it is difficult to fatten. Then we need to feed some green materials with high protein, mineral and vitamin content when feeding.
* Pay attention to nutrition. In the process of feeding cattle and sheep, attention should also be paid to the nutritional mix of the feed to ensure comprehensive nutrition and improve feed utilization. The first thing to pay attention to is to choose the best harvest when harvesting feed, harvest at the right time, don’t collect poisonous weeds, don’t mow old grass, don’t mow diseased grass, and pasture that cattle and sheep don’t like to eat. The second is to add an appropriate amount of concentrate when feeding the green material, which can improve the palatability of the feed and ensure balanced nutrition.
4. Daily management
* Clean up the feces in the pens in time to avoid the growth of bacteria. The sundries in the pens and the sports field also need to be cleaned up in time to avoid affecting the activities of cattle and sheep. Regularly disinfect the pens every 15 or 30 days to keep it clean and sanitary.
* Clean up the residual feed in the trough in time after each feeding, to prevent the cattle and sheep from eating the moldy feed, which will affect their own growth, and disinfect the trough and water tank every 15 days to ensure cleanliness of troughs and sinks.
* Provide sufficient drinking water for cattle and sheep, and can’t provide dirty water. If the temperature is high, you can increase the frequency of drinking water appropriately. It’s recommended to allow cattle and sheep to drink water freely. If the temperature drops, it’s better to drink warm water, and don’t provide cold water.
* Pay attention to the temperature of the supervised pen, and keep warm from the cold. In spring, the temperature is erratic, and the temperature difference between day and night is large. It is necessary to do a good job of heat preservation (such as plugging the loopholes, hanging the curtains, keeping the temperature environment of the pens dry and clean, and the air circulation). Improve the resistance of cattle and sheep, keep the stables dry, clean and warm, so that cattle and sheep can grow healthily and fastly.
Bullvet is a private veterinary drug high-tech enterprises established by Dr. Wu, it is located in Rongchang Chongqing, which is a state-level hygiene city. Rongchang is also the China animal husbandry technology city and the modern animal husbandry demonstration core. Southwest University Rongchang campus and Chongqing academy of animal husbandry are also located here.